Re: CULT: moving iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: moving iris
  • From: Cliff Snyder <snyder@eden.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:18:27 -0600 (MDT)

Tammy King wrote:
> Although this is only my first year growing iris, I have to throw in my 2
> cents worth. I planted some rhizomes that were given to me (they got here in
> September and sat in a box til January) and planted them in January and they
> now have big buds on them. I had been told several times by several people
> that I wouldn't see bloom til next year.
> Now, I don't know if this is normal or a freak of nature, but just wanted to
> share what happened with me...

Also being a commercial grower, I too dig mine every year. I have
experimented with moving iris shortly after bloom. I have taken the most
aggressive growers [eg. Jesse's Song, Babbling Brook, Twist of Fate] and
moved them in mid-May. This was about 3 weeks after bloom. The results
have been so-so. They did survive, but the Texas heat stunted their
offset potential.  Further, the bloom the following year on all three
were much shorter than normal (about 8-10" shorter).  I feel certain
that in areas with more temperate climates a transplant early is fine.
But in Central Texas I would have to argue against it.  I guess the
moral is - when in Rome ...

Cliff Snyder		Austin, Tx
Rainbow Iris Farm	Zone 8