HIST: Stages of succession? (was Bloom Report from West Virginia)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST: Stages of succession? (was Bloom Report from West Virginia)
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:44:03 -0600 (MDT)

Bill writes:
>My experience has been that regularly
>being moved is good for bearded irises, perhaps reflecting their heritage
>as plants that occur in earlier stages of succession in nature.  In other
>words, our favorite flower is just a bit weedy, and doesn't take well to
>competition!

OK, I will ask the dumb question.
Bill, please tell me what "stages of succession" are. Does this refer to
appearance of plant life in a prehistoric habitat or emergence of foliage
and bloom after the universal dormancy of winter?
Again and again I wish I had an education.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas USDA Zone 7b ... where for three weeks we have looked
in vain for rain to cool off 95-degree days. I am huddled indoors reading
-- a great consolation -- E.O. Wilson's "Consilience." Challenging book,
well worth the time invested.