MED: Iris Humor

This posting is not about humor regarding iris, but rather concerns jokes
played on us by iris.

I have been growing the IB variegata FIREBUG (Gatty, 94) almost since it
was introduced. It has a nice flower and stalk, but has been a shy bloomer
here. Last year on a second year clump with a multitude of healthy fans it
sent up exactly three stalks, which is niggardly performance from a
vigorously growing IB. Last summer I dug and divided the clump, but after
taking all I needed for replanting and selling (at the local club sale) and
giving away all that I could, there was still a considerable portion of the
clump left. This has been sitting in place on top of the ground ever since.
This unreplanted remnant is now in bloom and has sent up FOURTEEN stalks!!
Have I discovered a new way to coax reluctant bloomers into flowering?