Iris Cookie Cutter

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Iris Cookie Cutter
  • From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 17:35:14 -0600 (MDT)

Hi, Janet,    It was good talking to you Friday night.  I have never found an
iris cookie cutter or mold although I have looked everywhere.  What I have
done
is roll out Wilton Rolled Fondant in a thin sheet and cut iris petals out
individually and let them dry, then put them together to form an iris bloom
with icing.  After you get the petals cut out (you can use a pattern you
have cut from cardboard to get them all uniform size) you have to shape
them in a
graceful curve and let them dry over the back of spoons or whatever until they
are firm enough to hold their shape.  You can make the fans and stalks from
the
same thing and even make the falls ruffled.  The Rolled Fondant comes in a
can already prepared. It's white but can be dyed with the paste food
coloring.  You just roll it out and cut out the
shapes you want.     I thought Linda had a good suggestion that I'm going to
try myself.  Although I have never found a good iris stencil in the craft
shops
so I will look for one in a wallpaper store.
                   Once Ernie carved irises on the sides of a watermelon
basket we made for a picnic.  I cut a pattern from paper and he traced
around it on the melon and cut away the surrounding area in a small circle
with his little watermelon saws so the shape of the iris showed.  Not as
difficult as it sounds (especially since he was doing the work, not me)   I
wish there were as many iris designs as there are for other flowers but
they are really hard to find.
Ann Henson    S. Central Illinois