Re: Genetic drift

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Genetic drift
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 18:29:19 -0600 (MDT)

> You say 'from one generation to the next'. This infers that the
> next and subsequent generations are the ones at fault, not clones of the
> same plant. That is, the progeny of the cloned plants. Your TB's are
> clones of the same plant first grown from seed several years, or decades
> ago, so it isn't the same.

Well, actually, it was kind of a goofy idea.  Once again, I spoke before
thinking through something.

In tissue culture, one 'generation' is a 'cloned' plant that is
developed from a few (?)cells of the 'parent' plant.  Big difference
from a 'cloned' plant from a 'parent' iris mother rhizome, which
hopefully 'knows' how to make these clonal offspring without making too
many mistakes in the 'programming'.  As I recall (after I spoke meself
too quickly), the 'errors' in cloning new 'generations' were thought to
be at least partly, or mostly due to technique (growth media and
physical environment).

Sharon, Bill, I hope you are going to step in and help me get my big
foot out of my mouth.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA