CAT: help - source for LAs for Ohio?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CAT: help - source for LAs for Ohio?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 06:32:09 -0600 (MDT)

Anybody willing to recommend a source for Louisiana irises for southern
Ohio?  My sister has a poorly drained, wet area with partial shade that
seems like it might be worth experimenting with LAs, but I don't know
how they would do that far north.

My LAs are blooming like mad this year.  The two that are doing the best
are the surviving unnamed 2 of 3 ordered from a bulk mail order cheapo
collection several years ago and finally moved from the gravel garden to
the swamp last year.  I don't know how they managed to survive at all in
the gravel, but they seem very happy to be in a more suitable location!
One is an enormous blue violet with showy creamy signals, the other a
fuller petaled rusty-rose bitone with showy yellow-gold signals and dark
veins.  Both are absolutely gorgeous.

Christy Hensler's March TB transplants still have a few blooms and there
is actually a pod or two from ?BREAKERS x COLETTE THURILLET.  Children
will be part of the MIRACLE BABIES series : )

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA