OPALS FOR ETHEL (McAllister 1984) opened up yesterday with 3 stands, 4
falls (complete with beards) and 7 styles (with only 4 anthers).  I took
pictures of it.  :)

There was at least one style over each fall.  But one fall had two styles
piggy-backed on each other, and another fall had three styles piggy-backed
on each other (the innermost of which was actually inside out with the
stigmatic lip facing inward instead of outward like the "normal" styles).

I tried pollinating it today with MOTHER EARTH (I want a reblooming
arilbred!).  I don't know if it's pod fertile, but it sure didn't produce
any pollen for me on either of the two blooms that came up.  (BTW, its
first bloom about two weeks ago was normal, having 3 of everything.)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
Primary Interests: Hybridizing Arilbreds, Raising Native Ohio Species Irises