Re: CAT: help - source for LAs for Ohio?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CAT: help - source for LAs for Ohio?
  • From: dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 14:39:23 -0600 (MDT)

>Anybody willing to recommend a source for Louisiana irises for southern
>Ohio?  My sister has a poorly drained, wet area with partial shade that
>seems like it might be worth experimenting with LAs, but I don't know
>how they would do that far north.

Well, fulvas and brevicaulises are native to Ohio...so my humble guess is
that LAs would do just fine here.  I'm in Cincinnati and I'm ordering about
half-a-dozen LAs from Iris City Gardens down in Tennessee.  :)

Why don't you send your sister some of yours???

BTW, Dorothea K. Williamson is renowned for being cold hardy.

Nicholl's Gardens in Virginia http://www.he.net/~ngardens/ also carries
some LAs...including some rebloomers!  Actually I think Iris City has some
too come to think of it.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
Primary Interests: Hybridizing Arilbreds, Raising Native Ohio Species Irises