CULT: Beardless Irises in Ohio.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Beardless Irises in Ohio.
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:04:04 -0600 (MDT)

> Anybody willing to recommend a source for Louisiana irises for southern
> Ohio?  My sister has a poorly drained, wet area with partial shade that
> seems like it might be worth experimenting with LAs, but I don't know
> how they would do that far north.
     If you have any spare fans, you may wish to let your sister try some
of those Louisianas.  Also, the site sounds like it would be suitable for
Iris pseudacorus, Iris virginica, and Iris versicolor.  The hybrid GERALD
DARBY should do well there.  Iris brevicaulis would grow there too.
     When I lived in Kentucky, the LA hybrids RHETT, BUXOM, CLYDE REDMOND,
and LA PEROUSE did well.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.