Re: Subject lines

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Subject lines
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:04:54 -0600 (MDT)

At 07:58 AM 5/25/98 -0600, Bob Keup  wrote:

>Amen,Amen Amen.
>
> Please folks! Not all of us have the spare time that some on the list seem
>to have. Most of us are, I suspect, mainly on this great list to gain
>knowledge
>about IRIS.

and:

> Please consider more use of direct e-mail, ie
>birthdays,pets, greetings, congratulations,welcome aboard etc. The message
>will be just as appreciated by the intended recipient if sent off list and
>be equally appreciated by the many on the list who are not interested in the
>subject.
>
>Now I'll duck off the list and wait for the many offended  l-list members'
>this non-iris subject.

Dorothy comments:

Well, I am posting my response to the list, because the question/complaint
has been posted to the list.  Sure, we need to watch subject lines, and
limit "off-topic" posts.  BUT, part of what makes this list "great" is that
it HAS a personal touch.  In my mind, messages of welcome aboard and
congratulations (on show wins, for example) are perfectly appropriate when
brief--and most are!  Remember how thrilled you were to win that first
ribbon?  It's perfectly OK to be thrilled, AND to offer congratulations on
experiencing that thrill, AND to let list-members in on the exchange.

IMHO
Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY
daf10@cornell.edu