RE: HYB: beginners luck

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: HYB: beginners luck
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 07:56:20 -0600 (MDT)

Sandy did a few TB-SDB crosses last year.  If I recall correctly, about
half the crosses produced seed and then half again germinated.
Fertility is a significant factor.  Some varieties are only pollen or
pod fertile.  Also, some varieties are fertile only under certain
conditions.  Weather can be a significant factor.  Terry Aitken
discusses this briefly in his article for the CIS newsletter (that I
just read last night).

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4) -- where I brought Twist of Fate, Dakota Moon,
Gay Parasol, Thrice Blessed (SDB), Coquette Doll (SDB), Surpise Orange
(MDB) and a light blue SDB seedling to the Ottawa Horticultural Society
auction and generated $92.