RE: HIST: POCAHONTAS, SWERTI, MADAME CHEREAU

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: HIST: POCAHONTAS, SWERTI, MADAME CHEREAU
  • From: "Lewis,Shirlee E" <Shirlee.E.Lewis@kp.org>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:46:55 -0600 (MDT)

> Another one I'm curious about is MADAME CHEREAU.  Does it always look
> as much
> like SWERTI as the picture in Maryott's catalog does?

	Mary, I can only let you know what MADAME CHEREAU looks like.  I
saw it blooming in Sutton's gardens in April in Porterville, California.
It is a very OLD historic.  While it is in the 1949 Registration book, I
believe that it dates from the mid to late 1800's.  The flower is
acutally quite small -- not more that 3 inches tall or wide-- and a very
historic form.  It has a white or very slightly cream ground with light
lavender plicatta on the falls.  I can't remember if there was much of
the plicata markings on the standards.  Unfortunately that picture is
the one that was the last one on the roll of film and consequently not
developed.  Hope that helps.