RE: HYB: beginners luck

Hi all,
Someone advised Dennis K, to not pollenate too many irises, or he will
have too many to grow. I think it would be preferable to do as many
interesting (worthwhile?) crosses as you can, even at risk of producing
far too many seeds. You know then that you will have enough even if some
fail, and you can decide later which ones you will grow. You dont have
to grow every seed you produce you know. (faint memories of a song from
Monty Pythons 'The Meaning of Life')
You will then ber able to fall back on 'second best' crosses, if your
best crosses failed to produce seed.
I who threw away 1/3 of my seeds last season. These were mostly on the
spur of the moment crosses, which I made between pretty blooms, or those
that just happened to be in bloom at the same time. One impromptu cross
I was later rather pleased to have made.
Jan Clark