Cult: Pollen Daubing (heavy technical stuff)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Cult: Pollen Daubing (heavy technical stuff)
  • From: "John I. Jones" <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 23:20:57 -0600 (MDT)

(I sent this out Tuesday but I don't think it got to the list)

Being relatively new to the hybridizing game I wanted to elicit some opinions
about some aspects of pollinating irises (irides).

If I remember my botany correctly, process of the pollen reacting to being on
the stigmatic lip, and sending down the pollen tubes is very fast, on the
order of seconds. Is this true for irises? The importance here being that once
you put the pollen grains on the lip should you be very careful to not disturb
them further (e.g., putting a second daub of pollen on the same stigma.

Second question: A while back we were talking about bees or other insects
corrupting a cross by putting other pollen on a flower after an artificial
cross. My question is how soon after a pollination occurs does an iris change
the chemistry of its stamen to prevent further pollinating? If only one stamen
is pollinated, do all of the stamens become non-receptive.

Third question: How many grains of pollen are in one of the little pollen
balls that you can see with the naked eye on the anther (well, in my case it
is with the help of reading glasses)? I have been told it is hundreds.

Where on the lip should you put the pollen? Right on the edge of the top
(back) side or as far down in where the stigmatic lip joins the stigma?

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.