CULT: Bloom report

Those of you whose bearded iris season is winding down might find it
amusing to hear that, in company with Juri's in Moscow, mine is just
getting started, a whopping 3 days earlier than last year: the first
bloom opened Monday 5/25 on JEWEL BABY, a vigorous dark purple SDB. JB
has several additional buds & there are lots of buds-showing-color on
other SDBs: GREY POUPON, GOLDEN CHILD, FLOWER SHOWER, THIRD CHARM,
LITTLE SHOWOFF & LITTLE BLACK BELT. These are all purported rebloomers
(tho no RE fulfilled that hope in '97.)

Oddly enough, one that had "sequential bloom" last year, THRICE BLESSED,
doesn't have any buds, tho I *think* it's developing at least one bloom
stalk & increased decently enough -- maybe it's just running late. The
other SDBs I currently have, BANBURY RUFFLES & an unnamed peach-colored
one, haven't sent up any bloomstalks yet but BR was just planted out a
couple of weeks ago from the overcrowded pot I bought it in & the other
was received & planted quite late, for here, last summer.

Buds are also showing on a reblooming TB, QUEEN DOROTHY &, surprisingly,
on I. pallida variegata -- I've had a clump of these for about 4 years
but never a flower until now. (I like it anyway because of the striped
leaves.) The rest of my TBs, both reblooming types & not, plus my old
reliable variegata, are looking healthy & if Ma Nature just cooperates I
should have lots of flowers to enjoy beginning mid-June or so.

The Mystery Bed that I filled last summer with rescue iris & many
unnamed rz sent to me by friends is doing well, in spite of a buddy's
dog who recently dug in it, twice, before being banned from the back
yard. It should be fun to see what the flowers are like -- they arrived
here marked "yellow" or "grape" & the like & there's obviously a
terrific variation, based on the size of the leaves & the presence, or
absence, of purple-based-foliage. There's probably a mix of TBs & BBs
out there, possibly some IBs & MTBs as well.

Earlier I reported that I'd lost ENGLISH COTTAGE over the winter, but I
looked at the wrong tag -- what died off was NEEDLECRAFT, which also did
not bloom last summer. I also lost CORN HARVEST, which bloomed but
didn't increase. The adjacent clump of HARVEST OF MEMORIES, however,
increased like mad so I expect great things from this one, maybe even
rebloom as many on the List have reported. That would be terrific!

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado, at 7,400' altitude