Re: CULT: "Dauntless"

Tammy King writes:

<<  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site on the net that might have a
picture
 of Dauntless? I was given some iris last year, and the gal that I got them
 from said she believes they are called Dauntless, but she isn't sure. >>

Tammy, the webpage Mike Lowe maintains for the Historic Iris Preservation
Society, that section, or special interst group, of the American Iris Society
which is concerned with irises thrity or more years old and historically
important Iris species' is found at:

http://www.worldiris.com/

There is a photograph of DAUNTLESS (Connell, 1929) there which you can look
at. I would suggest that you err on the side of caution when you try to make
the match. We at HIPS believe the only real way to be sure is to compare
blooms--and whole plants--of an unknown and the iris it is thought to be side
by side. This is especially important in some color groups or with some color
patterns--like deep bi-tones--because there are  quite a few irises which are
similar. this is particularly true of the deep bi-toned wine reds and russets.
So be careful when you look at the photo, because close doesn't count with
unknowns.

There are a lot of lovely photos of some important and famous historic irises
at the HIPS site, along with some interesting articles and other information.
We hope you enjoy your visit.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society,AIS
"Preserving irises, iris documents, and iris artifacts for the future"
HIPSource@aol.com, Henryanner@aol.com