HIST/HYB: ROSY WINGS - offspring?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST/HYB: ROSY WINGS - offspring?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:38:41 -0600 (MDT)

One of the experiments I'm going to do this year as part of my project
to see how many different irises I can freeze <unhappy grin>, I'm going
to order the same thing from several different sources throughout the
country.  I've picked a historic that I haven't tried before (cheap, and
half a century of generations to allow for genetic drift in response to
climate).  I will see how they all do the first year and (if they all
live) see if that is any different in subsequent years (nature of the
genes vs nurture of the source).  According to the folks at Iris City in
middle Tennessee, ROSY WINGS is very tolerant of late spring freezes and
blooms well every year, so it 'ought' to do ok here.

I haven't run across ROSY WINGS in any of the pedigrees that I've chased
down.  Does anybody know of offspring from this iris?  It was a Dykes
medallist, so it seems like there ought to be some around.  Is it
relatively infertile or?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA