Re: Doing Everything Wrong

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Doing Everything Wrong
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:10:02 -0600 (MDT)

Kathy Guest writes:

> As I walk through my iris beds where I've done everything right.... and
there
> are only labels where irises should be.  I ponder those folks who don't
grow
> their irises correctly - yet have far better luck than I do!!  In fact,
some
> folks don't even KNOW that you can't dig up irises when they're in bloom
- and
> so they do it and the earth does NOT stop spinning.
> So..... I proclaim as follows.  In one bed, I intend to do everything
wrong.

Kathy,

I am beginning to come around to your way of thinking. I have grown FIREBUG
(Gatty, 94) for several years. It was a vigorous increaser, but a shy
bloomer - only three stalks on a huge clump last year. I dug it up and took
as much of it as I wanted to replant or give away and left the remainder of
the clump just sitting on the top of the ground. That remnant currently has
FOURTEEN stalks in bloom or budded, and they are in proportion - when I
gave the ornery critter TLC, it always bloomed way out of class. Love 'em
and leave 'em - alone!

cwalters@digitalpla.net

> Kathyguest - E. Aurora, NY - where my clump of SMOOTH SEAS (siberian,
very
> tall and royal blue) next to a pseudacorus would bring Martha Stewart AND
> Gertrude Jeykll to their knees

That would be a sight worth seeing! Of course, Martha would have a kneeling
pad that was just divine!  (-: