HYB: Pollen Daubing

John I. Jones wrote:

>  If I remember my botany correctly, process of the pollen reacting to
being on
>  the stigmatic lip, and sending down the pollen tubes is very fast, on
>  order of seconds. Is this true for irises? The importance here being
that once
>  you put the pollen grains on the lip should you be very careful to not=

>  them further (e.g., putting a second daub of pollen on the same stigma=

No, it may take several hours. =

It helps to actually see this process.

1.  Select a sacrificial flower.

2.  Peel apart a fresh style arm, just
to see what it looks like.

3.  Pollinate the other two.

4.  Peel one of the apart after about
an hour and examine it with a
magnifying glass.

5.  Do the same with the third about
two hours after pollination.

You should be able to see the pollen

>  Second question: A while back we were talking about bees or other
>  corrupting a cross by putting other pollen on a flower after an
>  cross. My question is how soon after a pollination occurs does an iris=

>  the chemistry of its stamen to prevent further pollinating? If only on=
>  is pollinated, do all of the stamens become non-receptive.

It doesn't change chemistry to prevent
pollination.  In fact, an old trick for =

getting takes from wide crosses is to
first spread compatible pollen that has
been killed by immersion in alcohol,
then the desired viable pollen.  =

The juices of the stigmatic lip support
the growth of pollen tubes, however,
so that the lip dries out much faster if
it has been pollinated.

>  Third question: How many grains of pollen are in one of the little
>  balls that you can see with the naked eye on the anther (well, in my
case it
>  is with the help of reading glasses)? I have been told it is hundreds.=

Kinda depends on the size of the =

"ball" which depends on the age of
the pollen and the humidity.  [Time
to think about springing for that
microscope, John.]

>  Where on the lip should you put the pollen? Right on the edge of the t=
>  (back) side or as far down in where the stigmatic lip joins the stigma=

As far back in the crease as I can
get it without damaging the flower,
but spread out -- not lumped.
Gently close the lip and hold it for