HYB/REB: Black rebloomers

	This year I searched all my catalogs for Black or near Black
rebloomers, BLACKOUT is the only really black Iris I have ever seen said to
rebloom, but having grown it I know better. I do grow WINESAP and can
recommend it as a strong rebloomer but it is really a dark wine (near black
from the "red" side). One catalog lists Monty's MIDNITE CALLER (I hope I
have remembered this name right) but says it is scarce and is very expensive
for an '89 ( I assume it is not a good grower?)

	Would anyone care to suggest any Iris which are Black or Near Black
coming from the blue-violet side which rebloom or have rebloom in their
ancestry ?

	A Hybridizing question: In working towards "black" one crosses dark
colors working towards greater intensity of pigment. The genes controlling
the amount of color expressed and/or layered etc. are or are not linked to
particular colors ? I ask because I would cross a very dark red rebloomer
(ie. WINESAP) with a strong grower like HELLO DARKNESS (dark from the violet
side) with the hopes that for whichever color I got the genes for rebloom
and depth of coloration could be passed on as well.

Chad Schroter
Los Gatos California , Zone determined by El Nino to be 7 or 8 instead of 9,
at least this week.