Re: HIST: POCAHONTAS, etc and Historics in Colorado

JForte21 wrote:

> Thanks Shirlee and Anner for your descriptions of POCAHONTAS, SWERTI and
> MADAME CHEREAU.  Maybe I can get them all to bloom at the same time next year
> so I can make direct comparisons.  Or maybe I can find some of these in
> Colorado.  Does anyone know of some significant historic plantings that we
> might see on our bus tours?  I know Lowell Baumunk has a special collection of
> 40s irises; what else does he have?

Mary, I visited Lowell's last Saturday to see his Arils & Arilbreds in
their prime -- he's got a handsome selection of these beauties, tho
unfortunately many will be "over" during Convention week. As for
historic bearded irises, in addition to the featured TB group from the
40's he has a number of others from various decades (including *very*
recent intros) so you should be able to see plenty of flowers. I don't
know if he will have any of the 3 older ones you named & he's so busy
getting ready for the tours that I doubt he will find time to respond to
your query!

I spent the rest of last Saturday weeding in Glenna Chapman's large &
wonderful garden, located several miles south of Lowell's. She has
special plantings of 40's & 50's irises plus a lot of Colorado intros &
masses of other recently intro'd TBs & Medians, including many new
seedlings that should be in bloom during the tours. Both these gardeners
also raise SIBs but I doubt any will be in flower next week. I'm willing
to be surprised about this...

These are the only 2 Host Gardens I've had a chance to visit, so far.
There are 9 others so you can look forward to ODing on blooms next week!

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado -- sunny dry days
continuing, with brief showers most afternoons/evenings.