Re: CAT: iris addiction

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CAT: iris addiction
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:01:27 -0600 (MDT)

Anner Whitehead said:
> I surprise even those who know I have a small space by saying I intend to
> get
> it down to the best and most beautiful three dozen bearded irises, give or
> take, not counting some new stuff which will certainly come and go.

Almost 'me too' - I think many of us are on a quest for some idealized
vision of loveliness involving iris bloom.  For some, nothing less than
an acre of TBs in full bloom will satisfy that itch.  I once grew almost
a tenth acre of the Endangered Tennessee coneflower on contract for the
Tennessee Department of Conservation.  The idea was to produce seed for
re-introduction in restored habitat, but what a wonder to see them all
in bloom at once, and not a weed in sight!

My iris quest is to find about a dozen different TBs that will bloom
almost every single year in profusion with minimal care.  But like
looking for a prince, it involves 'kissing a lot of frogs'.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA