CAT: Schrieners, new intro

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CAT: Schrieners, new intro
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:02:12 -0600 (MDT)

Just wanted to share a recent experience with Schreiner's.  I have been
eyeballing new introduction COUNTRY CHARM and the accompanying fine
print that says it is vigorous, so finally decided to call them up and
see what the parentage of this one is.  I definitely dislike variegata
colored irises, but since HONORABILE grows and blooms like a durned weed
here, I am TRYING to change my attitude.  I called their 800 number,
they said call back, I called back, they said we'll have to mail it to
you, it's too complicated to read over the phone.  So a few days later,
a xerox of the R&I certificate shows up in my mailbox!  My goodness,
these folks are spoiling me!

No wonder they mailed it - these are the cultivars listed on the
pedigree:  SAILMASTER,
 MATINATA, AGATINE, EDENITE, SHORELINE, BROOKFLOWER, KAREN, BREAKING
DAWN
 AMETHYST FLAME, LAVANESQUE, OPAL BEAUTY, WONDERMENT, NAVAJO BLANKET,
 DISTANT CHIMES, LILAC CHAMPAGNE, TOLL GATE, AFTER DARK, ALPENROSE,
WHOLE
 CLOTH, CASHMERE, BROADWAY STAR, GIANT ROSE, MAYTIME, OPAL BEAUTY, WHOLE
 CLOTH, WINE AND ROSES, CHAMPAGNE MUSIC, CHRISTMAS TIME, ORCHID BROCADE,
 ANNABEL LEE, EMMA COOK.  Some of these are 'seedlings of' or 'siblings
of' rather than the actual cultivar.

So after trying to chart its family tree (which appears to have a few
messed up (())s), and looking up some more ancestors, I lost my wits and
ordered the thing.  Looks like good genes (WHOLE CLOTH and other
PROGENITOR relatives all over the pedigree, plus a dab of I. aphylla and
lots of I. variegatas), so maybe this will be a good one.  [Plus I
learned that CHRISTMAS TIME is a white sport of something else].  Worth
$45 plus shipping?  Well, no.... but I have a few extra bucks budgeted
this year, so what the heck.

I wonder if I was supposed to pick out a bonus....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA