Re: CUL: Doing Everything Wrong

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CUL: Doing Everything Wrong
  • From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 00:08:53 -0600 (MDT)

Well Kathy, just to help you out a little.  We dig iris when ever we want to.  We
have about 100 iris per bed and we just emptied 3 beds.  We did wait until the
bloom finished because I wanted to look at the blooms.  Linda on the other hand
would have dug them during bloom.  We have been doing this for years and have
never lost an iris that I am aware of.  We also use a balanced fertilizer twice a
year and super phosphate in the fall or whenever we replant.  Mulch, we do that
through the winter months.  We do take care of rot.  But that may change next
year.  Linda has been saying if one or two iris of a certain variety develops rot
when the rest do not then something must be wrong with them to begin with.  I have
been fighting her over rot this year so we may do nothing about it next and see
what happens.

Glenn & Linda Simmons
Springfield, Missouri  Zone 6