HIST: Black Magic??

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST: Black Magic??
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 02:28:03 -0600 (MDT)

Hello, fellow insomniacs.  Here's what's keeping me up this AM:

An iris blooming at 30+ inches, with 3 buds (2 at terminal and 1 branch).
Color is a very dark purple/mulberry.  The falls are somewhat darker, and
velvety in texture.  What really blows me away is the BEARD.  The
individual "hairs" are white at the base; then purple; then yellow-tipped.
The effect is like looking at a filled layer cake from the edge!  Now, I
haven't really studied beards until recently, but I don't recall ever
seeing something like this.  I do see 2 colors frequently.

The iris is purported to be BLACK MAGIC (Wayman 1935); an IB Re.  I don't
think so--way too tall, for one thing.  Anybody have any ideas, based on
this somewhat unique beard?

Thanks, all.

Dorothy Fingerhood
(Newfield, NY)