Re: Pronunciation - POP O'SHA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Pronunciation - POP O'SHA
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:17:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> > Weippe is a Nez Perce word (I'm not certain what it means) and is
> > pronounced WE-eye-p.
> > Puyallup is also an Indian word, pronounced PEW-all-up.
>
> Thanks, Lane - now I have these words on file for handy reference. BTW, the
> iris named for Popo Agie Creek on the Wind River Indian Reservation is Pop
> O'Sha (Woodside, '69).
>
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4, Sunset Zone 2)
> cwalters@digitalpla.net

	Is POP 0'SHA pronounced Pup o' shuh or what?  I remember when this
iris was popular and it was pronounced POP (as in a loving reference to
dad) O'SHAY.  In other words Pop O'shay, an elderly Irish gentleman!  Many
people wanted to know who the gentleman was. No offense intended...this
was the pronunciation I heard. Also, POPS CONCERT (a concert of the Boston
Pops Orchestra)  by Ken Waite of MA was corrupted to POP'S CONCERT, a
concert by or for an elderly gentleman.  Ah, the wonders of folk
etomology!  It never ceases.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8