Dorothy Fingerhood wrote:

>  Hello, fellow insomniacs.  Here's what's keeping me up this AM:  =

>  An iris blooming at 30+ inches, with 3 buds (2 at terminal and 1
>  Color is a very dark purple/mulberry.  The falls are somewhat darker,
>  velvety in texture.  What really blows me away is the BEARD.  The
>  individual "hairs" are white at the base; then purple; then
>  The effect is like looking at a filled layer cake from the edge!  Now,=
>  haven't really studied beards until recently, but I don't recall ever
>  seeing something like this.  I do see 2 colors frequently.

This type of beard is fairly common
in arilbreds, although I haven't seen =

it in TBs.  Would love to hear of others'
observations of TBs, as I don't know
where the trait comes from. =

Given the height, branching, and bud
count, it's quite possible this mystery
iris is an arilbred.  Write to me off-list
if you want to brainstorm....

>  The iris is purported to be BLACK MAGIC (Wayman 1935); an IB Re.  I
>  think so--way too tall, for one thing.  Anybody have any ideas, based =
>  this somewhat unique beard? =

Definitely not the BLACK MAGIC I've
grown.  There was a series about
this cultivar in ROOTS a couple of