Re: HYB: Pollen Daubing (Mentor Pollen)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Pollen Daubing (Mentor Pollen)
  • From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 12:05:46 -0600 (MDT)

Sharon McAllister wrote:

> John I. Jones asked:
>
> >  What does putting sterilized pollen on the stigma do to enhance the
> chance of
> >  a wide cross? (or do we know?)
>
> I don't know.  I was justing
> passing on some old advice.
>
> Sharon McAllister
> 73372.1745@compuserve.com

I do not know if the process is the same in iris but rhis is a technique
used by lily breeders. The only difference is that a tiny amount of one or
two compatible pollens are mixed in with the "target" pollen. In this case
it is not killed first.

The theory which seems to be held by most practitioners, is that the few
grains of compatible pollen will overcome any chemical barriers to
"strange" pollen and open the floodgates as it were. I believe that it was
Leslie Woodriff who first used this technique on lilies. His great hybrid
'BLACK BEAUTY' was produced in this manner. A cross between L. speciosum
and L. henryi. His methods were ridiculed for years and it finally
required an examination of the chromosomes to persuade the doubters.

I do not know whether this would work in iris breeding. If the theory is
correct, it would seem to me that it would not be superceded by embryo
culture. If the barrier is a chemical one, you would have to overcome that
before any seeds were produced.

I would really be interested in the opinions of those who are more up to
date in bootany than I am.

John Montgomery
monashee@junction.net
Vernon  BC  Zone 5