OT-HUMOR: Pollen Daubing (Mentor Pollen)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-HUMOR: Pollen Daubing (Mentor Pollen)
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:57:01 -0600 (MDT)

John Montgomery asserts:

>I would really be interested in the opinions of those who are more up to
>date in bootany than I am.

Dear John,

As a longtime bootanist familiar with many (if not all) recent advances in
the field, I can assure you that the efficacy of mentor pollen is no
longer, in any sense, considered an intriguing question in boot circles.
[Ref: Rodoiskoskioski and Lamarr, 1991. Section 5.3.2]

We bootanists long ago realized there could be no reasonable expectation of
benefit from the application of mentor pollen -- or of any sort of pollen
-- to the boots we study. Oh, there was a bit of interest at one point in
the possibility of applying "blank spores" to hiking boot tongues, to
pre-empt the irksome Athlete's Foot fungus (pedipodicilius funguensis), but
the proponents of such experiments were amateurs originally educated in the
mushroom trade who never managed to articulate a proposal well enough to
satisfy federal grant application requirements.

Sorry to dash your hopes, but pollen is a dead-end line of investigation so
far as bootanists are concerned!

Very sincerely yours,

Celia Storey
Whit Lether School of Bootany