Re: HYB: Pollen Daubing (Mentor Pollen)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Pollen Daubing (Mentor Pollen)
  • From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:16:16 -0600 (MDT)

>Sharon McAllister wrote:
>> John I. Jones asked:
>> >  What does putting sterilized pollen on the stigma do to enhance the
>> chance of
>> >  a wide cross? (or do we know?)
>> I don't know.  I was justing
>> passing on some old advice.
>> Sharon McAllister
>> 73372.1745@compuserve.com
>I do not know if the process is the same in iris but rhis is a technique
>used by lily breeders. The only difference is that a tiny amount of one or
>two compatible pollens are mixed in with the "target" pollen. In this case
>it is not killed first.
>The theory which seems to be held by most practitioners, is that the few
>grains of compatible pollen will overcome any chemical barriers to
>"strange" pollen and open the floodgates as it were. I believe that it was
>Leslie Woodriff who first used this technique on lilies. His great hybrid
>'BLACK BEAUTY' was produced in this manner. A cross between L. speciosum
>and L. henryi. His methods were ridiculed for years and it finally
>required an examination of the chromosomes to persuade the doubters.
>I do not know whether this would work in iris breeding. If the theory is
>correct, it would seem to me that it would not be superceded by embryo
>culture. If the barrier is a chemical one, you would have to overcome that
>before any seeds were produced.
>I would really be interested in the opinions of those who are more up to
>date in bootany than I am.
>John Montgomery
>Vernon  BC  Zone 5
Dear John: This is not my field, but I had a very interesting conversation
witha fellow iris hybridizer, Mr. Ackerman, (Japanese iris), who also made
a difficult cross between Franklinia and a camellia. He said he used
anti-immune materials to prevent the hostess flower from rejecting the
pollen. Lloyd Z in Durham NC