Re: CATALOGS

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CATALOGS
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:38:55 -0600 (MDT)

At 05:44 PM 5/28/98 -0600, you wrote:

 And they were the kind that have to be licked.  Yuck!  Anyhow,
>that many catalogs will get in today's mail.  Maybe I'll have to pick up
>some stamps of other denominations, and have to lick 2 for each catalog.
>Hate that.

Yuck! is right.  How about using a dampened sponge to "lick" em?     :-)

I just came in from my nightly garden inspection, Lorraine, where I
discovered something I think you'd want to know about.  Last year I
received 9 irises from you.  Due to a miserable winter, not too many will
bloom this year--not at all unusual here.  But one that is blooming is
unfortunately not what I expected it to be.

Before I replaced it with something "more modern,"  I used to grow AZURE
APOGEE (Durrance by Long, 1967), and I remember what it looked like pretty
well.  I am quite sure that the "Azure Apogee" I purchased from you is
incorrect.  It is a nice blue iris, on the order of SAPPHIRE HILLS
coloring, with a bit more lavender tone.  And, it has a white beard.

The real AZURE APOGEE is a "light blue self, deep blue beard," according to
the checklist, and that is the way I remember it.  The beard was rather
striking, similar to CODICIL, but not quite as dark, and the iris not quite
as modern in form.

I am only passing this on for your information, and not as a "complaint.".
I know the old ones are tricky.  I have several others from other places
that are not what they were supposed to be, either!  Keeps us on our toes!

I wish you perserverance in stamp licking, and am looking forward to the
catalog.

Best Regards,
Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu