Re: HYB: beginners luck

>Bad luck to be precise.  I attempted pollinating nearly every iris that
>bloomed for me this year (which was not very many, mind you) and so far
>each one has been unsuccessful....the bloomstalks have withered away.
>I made several more crosses this past week and I'm hoping that those have
>What kind of success rate do you pros have?  I expected nearly every cross
>to be successful.  I don't know where the blame lies.....with myself for
>not doing it properly....or with the cultivars for being infertile.
>Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
>Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6
>Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, & Miami Valley Iris Society
>Primary Interests: Hybridizing Arilbreds, Raising Native Ohio Species Irises
Dennis: Best use "old" pollen, (one or two days old) rather than fresh. Be
sure the stigmatic lip has no water or dew on it. Dry it off, if it has.
The plants need to be fairly "happy" to be fertile - - not stress. Like
Sharon I think 50% acceptable, but I am using a lot of new seedlings, some
of which will prove infertile as pod parents.  Have a good bunch of pods,
and just wish that my stamina was up to all the planting and weeding that
will be involved!!! Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC