In a message dated 11/1/2000 12:09:16 AM Central Standard Time,
rainacre@aol.com writes:

> <<To suggest the award is the result of marketing is way off
> the mark. The 50 foot row in question was the year of introduction not the
> year it was up for the award. In addition Edith Wolford has proven a great
> parent. Witness this year's DM Stairway to Heaven (Edith Wolford X
> Breakers).>>
> I am not the first to suggest Ben was a whiz at marketing, but I will
> defend the position.  Don, read on, here is your story on BEVERLY SILLS.
> Everyone remember I wasn't there, but this IS what others in the iris world
> reported.

When Ben needed a large audience for BEVERLY SILLS, the convention was not in
CA.  He boxed up a dozen or more stalks in florist boxes and took them to the
convention.  I've heard he flew them in, but since I wasn't there, I don't
know. Everyone was in awe!  Each time it came up for an award there were
enough memories in the judges minds for it to win.  Only later did they learn
it didn't grow in a lot of places.

In addition, there were reports of groupies at conventions.  Rumor was, you
could tell who was going to win by the size of the groups trailing after the
hybridizers at the convention gardens.

>  It has been proven, unofficially of course, that people have long memories
> when it comes to beautiful irises.  Judges only needed to see the iris
> looking beautiful once and it didn't HAVE to be in the garden.  In a world
> >> en didn't need the iris to be seen the
>> year the award was given to win.  To suggest so is way off the mark.
>> IMHO.

Though the world be imperfect, we still love irises.  Happy irising!

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.