OT:BIO: Gesine Lohr

Hi, I just discovered iris-talk (& am new to e-mail etc.).  My
favorites are historics, especially pre-1940's.  Due to the nature of
our tiny yard, most of my iris are in 12-20" pots, some in half
barrels.  I'm a member of HIPS.

I've grown iris myself since 1992 when my father died and I dug up
some of my late mother's iris.  In St. Louis I was transerring planes
and they extensively searched everything (parent's WWII letters! bag
of old photos!); I was thinking oh no, I can't give up the iris, if I
have to I'll take a bus into town and mail them!  They got to the last
bag and I think Ma told them "This is not the bag you seek", because
they didn't search it at all!  (Iris are pretty cosmic!)

It wasn't til 1998 that I found the name of one of the ones my Ma had
grown -- INDIAN CHIEF (Ayres 1929).  They'd planted iris in 1938 when
they bought their house in New Jersey. In May 1998 I bought other
historics for the first time, and traded some, and rescued some
(unknowns!!).  Now I have about 100.  It's fun to give old iris to
people & propagate iris love out.  Here in Alameda (near San
Francisco, California) there are lots of old houses (not like in New
Jersey!! but many about 100 years old), & I've given people iris that
is near the age of their houses -- this is a great way to get them
involved with historic iris.

Question:  At this address, in fall when the rains come, many of my
rhizomes get black or dark green mold on them.  The neighbors have an
orange tree right at the property line and also an old oak tree, so
stuff from both falls in our yard.  This is the first time I've had a
mold problem.  I've tried spraying with Safer fungicide, and with a
dilute water/bleach solution.  It doesn't seem to hurt the rhizomes,
but seems icky.  Any ideas?

Look forward to talking with you all!  Gesine Lohr

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just
great fares at Hotwire.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9750/0/_/486170/_/973124326/