Re: OT:BIO: Gesine Lohr

In a message dated 11/1/00 7:21:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
GesineLohr@excite.com writes:

<<  It's fun to give old iris to
 people & propagate iris love out.  Here in Alameda (near San
 Francisco, California) there are lots of old houses (not like in New
 Jersey!! but many about 100 years old), & I've given people iris that
 is near the age of their houses -- this is a great way to get them
 involved with historic iris.>>

Welcome to the list, Gesine, and kudos to you for spreading "irisitis."

<< Question:  At this address, in fall when the rains come, many of my
 rhizomes get black or dark green mold on them.  The neighbors have an
 orange tree right at the property line and also an old oak tree, so
 stuff from both falls in our yard.  This is the first time I've had a
 mold problem.  I've tried spraying with Safer fungicide, and with a
 dilute water/bleach solution.  It doesn't seem to hurt the rhizomes,
 but seems icky.  Any ideas?

I have no experience with this condition, so hesitate to comment.  But, I
think I would try to keep the "stuff" off the rhizomes as best I could; try
to encourage air circulation around them.  If the rhizomes don't seem to be
suffering, I guess I wouldn't worry too much beyond that.  The water/bleach
solution seems like a good preventative.

Again, welcome!

Dorothy Stiefel
Dryden, NY, USA Zone 5