HIST: Indian Chief

Gesine Lohr wrote:
<It wasn't til 1998 that I found the name of one of the ones my Ma had
grown -- INDIAN CHIEF (Ayres 1929).>

Welcome to the list, Gesine!  Your identifying your mother's iris as INDIAN
CHIEF is quite a coincidence.  My husband and I have wondered for years what
the three iris cultivars are that we saved from some that my parents brought
to Kentucky from Birmingham, Alabama, in the forties.  We attended the HIPS
Convention in Syracuse, New York, this year and I took lots of slides.  I
also managed to get a few different shots of one of the oldies of which I
spoke when it bloomed (in the shade) this spring.  We just got around to
viewing all these slides a couple of weeks ago, and lo and behold, this iris,
too, appears to be INDIAN CHIEF!  It must have been widely distributed.

We still have two cultivars that I hope to get moved to a better spot so they
will bloom and we might identify them as well.  Isn't this fun?

Judy Hunt in Louisville, Kentucky, Zone 6, where the Breeder's Cup races will
be run at Churchill Downs tomorrow...the city's all abuzz (or should it be
all a-neigh?). <G>

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/973299020/