CULT: TB: Early Death

> From: Dick Hartman <rwhdlh@oceana.net>
> Yes I'm one of the lurkers and have occasionally put my two cents worth
in,-as an Iris (almost a fanatic,love these babies)am mostly content to
soak up the info,-Grand Metallic bought this one from Cooleys early spring
and planted first of July -DEAD.

Do you know what caused GRAND METALLIC's demise?

I can attribute nearly all my losses of newly planted/replanted rhizome
divisions between planting time and the onset of winter to one of three
disease conditions. Two of these are "exotic", i.e., they have shown up on
newly acquired rhizomes from "milder" climates, but do not propogate here
on their own. These are fungal crown rot and "scorch". The only endemic
disease that has killed newly planted rhizomes is bacterial soft rot.
Soaking rhizome divisions in a bleach solution before planting and keeping
a close eye on newly planted rhizomes and giving them a drench or two of
bleach solution in situ if they show any signs of developing soft spots has
been quite effective in stemming losses from both kinds of rot. I have not
found any effective means of saving rhizomes that develop symptoms of
"scorch". There are no animal/insect problems here severe enough to kill
rhizomes outright. We do not have either iris borers or rabbits, and for
some unknown, but welcome reason, I seem to be located in a deer-free zone,
although this is by no means the case for everyone even in my immediate
neighborhood. Perhaps because of our drier climate, the large, juicy
rhizomes from the West Coast do not appear to be at particular risk when
planted here.

With snow flurries and temperature near freezing; rescued rebloom stalks of
IMMORTALITY (quite blue from the cold) and PINK ATTRACTION blooming