Re: Re: CULT - mulch or not

----- Original Message -----
From: Betty Coyle <irislady@northcoast.com>
To: <iris-talk@egroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT - mulch or not

> Hi there,
> Does anyone out there who lives in the deep south know whether TBs should
> mulched with pine straw?  My aunt lives in Hattiesburg and I told her I
> would try to find out for her since we would never do that here in coastal
> northern Califonia.
> Also,  a friend in our iris society is looking for the name and hopefully
> supplier of an iris with a root beer fragrance.
> Thanks for your help.
> Betty Coyle
> irislady@northcoast.com
> Betty,
I don't know if you remember me or not from the Sacramento Convention.
Layton and I ate with you and Mary Ann?.  We live in Nashville, TN and I
pretty much go along with Linda from east TN 'S
mulching practices.  I have done it both ways.  What happens is that to keep
the spring rains from rotting the rhizomes, we take the mulch off--then we
get a late freeze and therein lies the tale.  The irises close to the house
seem better without it, the ones in the center of the yard and exposed--may
be helped.  DON'T! try to use mylar.  I furnished my neighborhood with two
hours of hysterics as I (by myself) tried to cover my beds during a 30 mph
wind.  I ended up in a cocoon.  I am a lurker, but thought I'd tell you of
my experience.  Sue G