Re: CULT: mulch or not

Ah yes, Sue - we get rain, then the temperature drops about 40oF as the
warm air is driven out by 30 mph winds, so there we are freezing our
ears off after getting used to all that nice spring warmth and wet,
trying to wrestle covers over our poor plants.

My 'trick' is to stuff the Reemay into a giant plastic garbage bag, then
pull out one end and anchor it with a small log , chunks of firewood, or
a wide, fairly heavy board.  The board works best and provides a good
air seal with the ground.  Then I gradually pull the Reemay out of the
bag, anchoring it down one side with more boards, old tobacco sticks,
rocks, whatever is handy as I go, then anchor the other end and work my
way back up the other side, pulling the cover in place and throwing
rocks and sticks at the parts that try to pop loose <g>

Dancing in the wind with a 100 ft (30 m) X 8 ft (>2 m) sheet of  gauze
is such fun!  I won't do it for my irises much any more, but still try
to protect veggies.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8