Re: CULT: mulch or not

> Soo, in the southeast, whether to mulch or not depends on your goals,
> the cultivars you have, as well as the type of mulch and how it's
> applied.  Maybe compromise by mulching among the plants, but not over
> the rhizomes?  When I moved my seedlings last month, I put a thin,
> mostly maple-leaf mulch over them, buried the rhizomes under an inch
> or so of soil (it has been so hot and dry, I was more concerned about
> them drying out than rotting), and they seem to be thriving.
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
> experiment!  it's fun...

	I think this question about mulching bearded irises in Hattiesburg, MS, first
appeared on Lairis and I answered it privately since it wasn't about
Louisianas.

     I do not mulch bearded here and would not recommend
mulching them in Hattiesburg, which is probably more than two
hundred miles south of me.  If they had the rains there we just
experienced, the mulch could wash against the rhizomes, cover
them, and if not removed or rearranged, help to cause rot.

     Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (the five inch rain gauge has overflowed
since it started raining several days ago)

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/973797782/