TB: root beer!

Greetings from Carney's Corner,

Betty,   I cannot believe that someone is inquiring about an iris
that smells like root beer!   A few years ago I purchased a
Schreiner  70 iris named DUTCH CHOCOLATE.   The first couple of years
the plant had a hard time growing.  Two years ago it bloomed having
put up two bloomstalks.  When I smelled it, it was such a shock and
thought it was somewhat of a chocoalte fragrance.   This last year it
bloomed much better and had larger flowers and definitely smelled
like root beer.  Every person that visited us while it was in bloom
has agreed that it indeed smells like root beer.  Give me a few days
to check my catalogs and I will let you know where I find it.  It
gives you such a funny feeling to have a flower smell like root beer.

The flower itself is a beautiful chocolate color, a self, and the
falls and standards are smooth looking.

Carol Ann
Northern Middle Tennessee - Zone 6

eGroups eLerts