HYB:Seedlings

In a message dated 11/13/2000 6:30:45 PM Central Standard Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

> All for plants likely destined for the compost heap, too.

Donald,

I understand you want to give the seedlings plenty of room.  But, as you say,
many of them will be destined for the compost heap, and you only have one
back!  Once upon a time, people said you could expect about 1 in 1,000 to be
introduction material.  That is, of course, if introduction is your goal!
Now "they" say you can expect more like 1 in 100. If you read the R & I's
carefully, you may have reason to question even those figures.

There are tricks you can use to cut down on the amount of space needed to
house your "babies."  I have just under 1,000 seed this year and they are
going in a space 12 ft by 50 ft, with a path taking up the center.  Each side
will have 6 rows spaced 8 inches apart and plants 8 inches apart in the rows.
 The plants in the rows will be staggered.  I'm planting them in 'blocks'
down each side.  (If I have bad germination, I'll increase them to 12 inches
in the row.)

Past experience has taught me that many of these seedlings will not be as
strong as their siblings.  If I see the need, I will alternate strong plants
with weaker looking plants.  They tend to stay in proportion.  If some die,
they will leave gaps.  I expect them to stay for two years so I have an
opportunity to see them all bloom and have a good chance at rebloom.  Only
the most vigorous will give problems in this time frame . . . these can be
moved or you can devise some method of identifying the clumps.  When I was
out in the country, I put bricks between the occasional clumps that were
getting too close.  Bricks were plentiful.

I am definitely not in favor of throwing seedlings on the compost pile after
just one season of bloom. There are a lot of good rebloomers I would have
missed if I'd been that demanding.  It takes some of the rebloomers a while
to 'get in gear.'  Only 75% of this years seedlings will be rebloom, since I
kinda went crazy with a couple of SILVERADO crosses with no rebloom
potential.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/974164594/