Re: HYB:Seedlings

Betty,

>introduction material.  That is, of course, if introduction is your goal!

Not.

>I have just under 1,000 seed this year and they are
>going in a space 12 ft by 50 ft, with a path taking up the center.

Seeds will be in pots, one pod per pot, in an old double galvanized
washtub on legs.  Armadillos have shown me more than once the
futility of planting in the ground, even in pots sunk in the ground.

> 6 rows spaced 8 inches apart and plants 8 inches apart in the rows.

About the spacing I used when they went from the pots into a bed
a telephone pole laying down high.  But Betty, not enough died!  Not
even enough were puny.  These fellows grew.  Already it's been hard
to tear the root systems loose from the neighbors when I began to
relocate them, pod by pod - now full sized leaf fans, to the completed
sections of the raised beds I've been constructing.

> The plants in the rows will be staggered.

I hate a straight line :).  Mine are staggered on purpose, but my lines
are seldom straight anyway :)).

>I expect them to stay for two years so I have an
>opportunity to see them all bloom

Well, mostly, anyway.  My experience that most won't even bloom 'til
year two after germination year.

>out in the country, I put bricks between the occasional clumps that were
>getting too close.

There are nearly as many bricks in the bed as irises.  The ones with
three holes in them  (called Aggie bowling balls by some here in Texas
who likely didn't go to the correct school).  Laid flat to start and help
keep the rows marked in case an armadillo rearranged things.  Long
since turned narrow side up.  So the plants had more room.  Don't
know as I have enough bricks.  Doubt it, unless I tear out the brick
walk.  Could happen for the irises.

>Bricks were plentiful.

>I am definitely not in favor of throwing seedlings on the compost pile
after
>just one season of bloom.

Depends.  If you could have seen some of those bee pod seedlings from
INDIAN CHIEF (are you listening Linda Mann?),  you might have even
found someone to help 'cause getting them to the compost pile was
going too slow!  I was fascinated, though, that something that clearly
resembled its maternal parent could be so absolutely awful.  Didn't
even have the grace to be stronger growers, either.

>Only 75% of this years seedlings will be rebloom, since I
>kinda went crazy with a couple of SILVERADO crosses with no rebloom
>potential.

It's the have pollen, will daub disease.  I had a brief fit of that myself
toward the end of bloom season.  Was heading toward the barn and
found the tweezers in my pocket, right there beside my pocket knife
and nail clippers.  Well as I made a quick detour of the iris beds, I
couldn't help but check for pollen.  Found some on several.  It was a
perfect morning, not too dry and not too humid and the pollen looked
so fluffy and perfect.  And what could I use it on?  Well, there were all
these stalks on THORNBIRD.  This involved several trips between the
two main flower beds and involving, oh say 3 or 4 or more pollen
contributers.  Then I went on directly to the barn, perfectly confident
I would remember where I daubed what on which bloom.  Hah!  By
noon, the weary body wanted a nap and after finishing up before
dark before I considered anything about what I'd done, there was no
hope (doubt there'd ever been much).  Didn't matter, my success
rate in the daubing department is iffy at best.  Result - 3 pods.
Gratefully, the grasshoppers destroyed two of them.  But I now have
a THORNBIRD pod from something.  I can probably sit down and
limit the possibilities to 10-15 pollen parents by a careful evaluation
of my notes and the date.  I might, but I won't.  And curiosity will
compel me to plant the seeds, no doubt.   But I swear I won't do it
again.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, USA