Re: HYB:Seedlings

In a message dated 11/13/2000 9:29:10 PM Central Standard Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

> <the
> futility of planting in the ground, even in pots sunk in the ground.>

Sorry, I left this vague.  The seed won't be in the ground.  I will plant
them in pots, approximately 25 seed per pot, and go into the ground next
spring as transplants.  I wish I had the cow trough from the farm where I
grew up to keep my pots; unfortunately, it was buried a few years ago. I've
prepared the space this fall so they can go into the ground in the spring,
before it's too hot and in time for most of them to make bloom the first
spring.

The few 99 seedlings were planted in May this year, and watered with a soaker
hose during our drought.  Most have several increases and look promising for
spring.  There's an EDITH WOLFORD cross in these.  EW was the pod parent and
one of my best reblooming seedlings is the pollen parent.  The seedlings
appear to be the strongest in the group, but winter can make a difference.

I used a lot of West Coast rebloomers in the past.  My theories worked, but
this may explain the tendency toward weakness.  This is not to say that all
my seedlings have been weak . . . quite the contrary.  With my line making
theory, I have often saved only the strongest. Our different climates may
also explain the difference.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/974206160/