Re: HYB: Selection Ratios

> 1.      How many contenders were in the final round?  How many would
> have been kept with unlimited space and resources?
>
> 2.      How many were in direct competition?  [Same type, similar
> appearance, so only the best performer would have been introduced.]
>
> Even this hypothetical ratio has never been better than 1 in 50.
> Individual crosses, yes.  Some have produced less than 50 seedlings,
> with one or more introduced.  BUT these were balanced by other crosses
> that produced NOTHING worthy of introduction.
>

> Sharon McAllister

	The old master, Ben Hager, introduced three very worthy
rebloomers out of the same pod.

	With LEMON CHESS, I had three that made the final cut,
which I could not narrow down.  Since the judges didn't come to
me, I went to them.  It was ironic that all three were in bloom at the
same time and could be entered in two shows, one on Saturday
and the other on Sunday.  Of course, such judging didn't include
vigor, but the plant that became LEMON CHESS was selected by
both panels of judges and turned out to be the most vigorous of the
three.  I was encouraged to introduce a second one from the cross
but didn't for fear it might be confused with the real LC.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/974237610/