Re: HYB: Selection ratios

Hmm - I've made umpteen crosses in the last ?4 yrs, most of which didn't
take, planted maybe a thousand seeds (I'll dig out my records and see if
I can figure it out), have maybe 100 seedlings surviving, less than ?20
of which have bloomed yet, the majority from two crosses, and was told
by a visiting judge that I should introduce two of them if they turn out
to be consistent and a third if it turns out to be a rebloomer.  Another
visitor who has been hybridizing for 30 yrs and just started introducing
didn't think one of these three was worth introducing, but agreed on the
other two.

This doesn't jive with those low ratios of either 1 in 1000 (or worse
for beginners, which I most certainly am) or 1 in 100.

I don't know what to make of this.  Beginner's luck?  I shouldn't
believe these guys? The irises will turn into duds next year?  One tail
on a normal distribution?  All 1000 seeds would have made seedlings in
any other climate/garden <g>?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
snow on Saturday?????