HYB: plicatas/glaciatas and the tangerine factor

Hey, gang,

I think I may be on the verge of an epiphany.

Going through my fat notebook of printed-out iris-talker wisdom, I
came upon a 3/26/00 posting from Sterling Okase that hadn't
quite 'taken' at the time of my exploration of the archives.  He
said, "I do know that to get luminatas and glaciatas with tangerine
beards is very rare and very difficult, since they are all recessive
traits."

Since pink TBs without tangerine beards is my hybridizing goal, by
that reasoning, plicatas would be better breeding stock than other
pinks to cross with pink TBs, all of which seem to retain the
tangerine factor at least in the throat.  (Even Niswonger hasn't been
able to get that out, he told me.)

Glaciatas, like GODDESS, should be even better for crossing, since I
don't really like the plicata markings (they seem too artificial to
me) so I'd probably cull most plicata results.  But since the plicata
patterns are also recessive, maybe most of the resulting seedlings
would go the glaciata route.

Not that I won't follow other plans as well, including wide crosses
(I can't resist), but maybe the plicata theory should move to the A
Plan.  Terry Aitken suggested I contact Keith Keppel on the subject,
since he's done work with glaciatas.

What do all you more-experienced hybridizers think?

Patricia Brooks
patriciabrooks@coupeville.net

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/974268773/