Re: HYB: Selection ratios

Linda Mann writes:

<<
 I don't know what to make of this.  Beginner's luck?  I shouldn't
 believe these guys? The irises will turn into duds next year?  One tail
 on a normal distribution?  All 1000 seeds would have made seedlings in
 any other climate/garden <g>?

First, objective evaluation means IGNORING the stats.  That's why I don't run
the numbers until I've finished evaluating a year's crosses.

Second, I'd say your climate is probably helping you cull those seedlings.
Undoubtedly they would have had a higher survival rate elsewhere.

Finally, put others' opinions in perspective by evaluating the CONSISTENCY of
your seedlings performance yourself.  It keeps you from joining the ranks of
those hybridizers who have been embarrassed after selecting something on the
basis of its maiden bloom.

Sharon McAllister

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/974270074/