Re: Re: HYB: Selection Ratios

Patricia Brooks writes:

 I for one would be VERY interested in the differences you found in
 this regard with line breeding vs. wide crosses.  The consensus seems
 to favor the former, but the latter interests me more.  Without 40
 more years to spend at hybridizing, though, what do you think my
 chances are?  (My hybridizing goal is pink TBs without tangerine
 beards, even in the throat.  Preferably blue, white, or true pink
 beards.) >>

TBs are many more generations away from species than ABs, so while AB
hybridizers can learn a great deal from studying the history & genetics of
TBs the reverse is less true.

In the AB world, "line-breeding" usually means no more and no less than
simply working within a fertile family while a "wide cross" is one made
between two different fertile families or between one member of a fertile
family and a relatively infertile distant relative.  In this context: "wide
crosses" result in far fewer takes, produce fewer seeds per pod, have a lower
germination rate and a lower survival rate -- but among those few that make
it to bloom size, you may find such a significant breakthrough that it's all

But to get back to your program -- ANY project involving only TBs is more
like linebreeding in arilbreds than outcrossing, whether it involves
inbreeding, outcrossing or both.

In fact, your project sounds like the complement of Fay's program to put
tangerine beards on white flowers so I think you'd find some valuable clues
in writeups about those lines.  There are also parallels to Hall's work with
pinks, so that is worth delving into.  Both projects involved both inbreeding
and outcrossing.  It's not that one is "better" than the other, but that they
have different roles and are thus both important on the road to success.

Sharon McAllister

eGroups eLerts