HYB: Selection Ratios

Walter Moores writes:

<< The old master, Ben Hager, introduced three very worthy
 rebloomers out of the same pod.

    With LEMON CHESS, I had three that made the final cut,
 which I could not narrow down.  Since the judges didn't come to
 me, I went to them.  It was ironic that all three were in bloom at the
 same time and could be entered in two shows, one on Saturday
 and the other on Sunday.  Of course, such judging didn't include
 vigor, but the plant that became LEMON CHESS was selected by
 both panels of judges and turned out to be the most vigorous of the
 three.  I was encouraged to introduce a second one from the cross
 but didn't for fear it might be confused with the real LC.

I have no quarrels with introducing more than one sibling, as long as they
are quite distinct, and have done it several times myself.  But, like you, I
won't introduce one that looks too much like an already-registered sib.

Sharon McAllister

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/0/_/486170/_/974270083/